Here are some excellent reminders I clipped from Investors Business Daily:
IBD’s 10 Secrets to Success ( with a little embellishment for me)
1. How you think is everything: Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment. Success is not about the amount of money in your bank account.
2. Decide upon your true dreams and goals: write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them. I have a dream board and a business plan.
3. Take action : Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started. Just do it. And do it well.
4. Never stop learning: go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills. Learners are earners.
5. Be persistent and work hard. Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Running a small business is indeed a marathon.
6. Learn to analyse details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes. if you fail, fail forward.
7. Focus your time and money: Don’t let other people or things distract you. Turn off distractions, like your device while working. No emails or calls while recording! Don’t let others set your agenda.
8. Don’t be afraid to innovate, be different: following the herd to a sure path to mediocrity. I’m ever the contrarian at heart.
9. Deal and communicate with people effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others. Be a leader and a follower. Very important for those of us who work as solopreneuers.
10. Be honest ad dependable; take responsibility. Credibility is everything and builds trust in the marketplace. Otherwise numbers 1-9 won’t matter.